Backstage: Injury Prevention & Management
This course will introduce you to the world of backstage injury prevention and management of theatrical shows, concerts, and films. Hands-on labs consist of manual therapy skills, analyses of Broadway performers, and specialized taping techniques. Lectures include education on common dance injuries, the unique considerations of entertainment and performing arts medicine, dance/vocal/backstage terminology, and how to work with NEURO TOUR Physical Therapy backstage. This course is intended for physical therapists, physical therapy assistants, and athletic trainers.
By the completion of this course, participants will:
- Describe the roles of physical therapists and athletic trainers in performing arts medicine as presented in the course.
- Identify the demands associated with performing arts medicine.
- Recognize common injuries among various performing arts disciplines.
- Describe appropriate etiquette for treating backstage while utilizing adequate performing arts specific terminology.
- Conduct a movement analysis of a performance. Discuss the associated risks and injury prevention measures.
- Learn manual therapy techniques that can be utilized when treating performing artists.
- Demonstrate manual therapy techniques for the muscles associated with vocalization.
- Learn, select, and perform taping techniques with modifications relevant for the performing artists.
2020 Dates & Locations
|July 18-19, 2020||Philadelphia, PA|
|August 15-16, 2020||Orlando, FL|
|November 7-8, 2020||Houston, TX|
Times are subject to changes.
|7:30am - 8:00am||Sign-in and Pre-test|
|8:00am - 11:00am||Introduction to NEURO TOUR, Production Considerations, Performing Arts Considerations|
|11:00am - 12:00pm||Dance Faults & Performance Analysis|
|12:00pm - 1:00pm||LUNCH|
|1:00pm - 5:15pm||Soft Tissue Techniques|
|5:15pm - 6:00pm||Round Robin|
|7:45am - 8:00am||Sign-in|
|8:00am - 12:30pm||Vocal Treatment|
|12:30pm - 1:30pm||LUNCH|
|1:30pm - 3:30pm||Taping Techniques|
|3:30pm - 4:00pm||Backstage Logistics|
|4:00pm - 4:30pm||Round Robin|
|4:30pm - 5:00pm||Post-test and Course Evaluation|
This course is approved by ProCert for 15 CCUs 05/31/2021.
It is also approved individually in the following states:
Florida for 16 hours through 12/31/2020
Texas for 16 CCUs through 7/31/2021
Ohio for 16 hours through 7/13/2020
Maryland for 1.6 CEUs through 7/2/2023
New Hampshire for 16 hours through 21/31/2020
Nevada for 1.6 units through 7/31/2021
Student Discount: 20%
Group Discount: 10% for groups of 5 or more
How to Register
Complete the Registration form found here, then send the form to email@example.com. Once the registration form has been received, NEURO TOUR Physical Therapy will invoice you for the registration fee.
Cancellation / Refund Policy
No refunds are permitted. Participants will receive a credit that can be used to reschedule to a new course within the same year. No money or credit will be issued for “no shows” or if a participant begins the course and is not able to complete it. NEURO TOUR Physical Therapy and host facilities are NOT responsible for reimbursement of incurred expenses.